Winter Storm Events
The City will implement the usual snow clearing and de-icing procedures as necessary beginning with primary roads and then secondary roads, local roads and sidewalks. Clearing high priority roads allows police, fire, and ambulance vehicles to safely travel on our streets.
- If you have a driveway, use it. The more cars off the street the better snow clearing efforts will be, and it will be less likely your car will be ploughed in, splashed or damaged.
- Give plough operators room to perform their duties. Stay back at least 25 metres (80 feet) from snow plows, sanders and other equipment so the operator can see you. Visibility may be limited.
- Consider leaving your car at home. Catch a bus or share a ride. If you must drive, reduce driving speeds and drive according to road and weather conditions.
- Make sure your vehicle is equipped with appropriate tires, is maintained and equipped for winter conditions with windshield washer fluid, anti-freeze, blanket, etc.
- Keep children off snow banks to prevent them from slipping into the path of vehicles and equipment. Do not let children tunnel in snow banks. The snow can collapse or be pushed back by snow plows.
- Keep catch basins clear and uncover fire hydrants near your home.
- Sidewalks are to be cleared within 24 hours of a snowfall.