You need to have a permit to burn an open fire in the city. You must also notify the Fire Department on the day that you burn. The permit fee is $204.50.
The City of Markham allows open fires during specific dates and times.
Burning permits are not issued for locations South of 17th Ave. and West of 10th Line (Reesor Rd.). This is true even if the by-law conditions are met. In these locations:
- Recreational burning (corn roast, marshmallow roast, etc.) may be permitted if all by-law conditions are met.
- Burning construction/demolition materials is not permitted.
- Burning vegetation from the site (tree clippings, small shrubs, etc.) is permitted at the discretion of the Fire Prevention Officer.
- Chimneys, outdoor furnaces, etc. for recreational purposes is permitted if all by-law conditions are met.
Only these materials may be burned:
- Clean wood, brush, or vegetation
- Material cannot exceed 1.5 square metres in area
You must have equipment and resources nearby:
- On-site water
- People to help control the fire
For more information, contact Markham Fire & Emergency Services at 905.415.7521