Make the Most of Your Green Bin!
- Any plastic bag can be used to line your kitchen container or green bin. Always tie the bag before placing inside your green bin.
- If your green bin is overflowing, it may not collect it:
- Please make sure the lid can fully close.
- Extra green bins can be purchased at a Markham Recycling Depot
- Place excess organic material in a clear bag; place beside your green bin
- Your green bin must weigh less than 18 kilograms
- Write your address on your green bin with a permanent marker. This will make it easier for someone to return it to you if it blows away.
- Grass clippings and yard material do not go in the green bin. Mulch the grass and leave it on the lawn.
Keep Critters Away!
- Clean your green bin regularly with vinegar or baking soda.
- Keep the container lid tightly closed and do not overfill.
- Freeze food scraps to reduce odours and pests.
- Put your green bin out by 7 AM on the morning of your collection day, not the night before.
- Never use hot sauce or any kind of burning liquid on your green bin. This can injure our collection crews, pets and wildlife.