The City of Markham's Snow Windrow Removal Assistance Program is designed to help disabled and elderly residents maintain road access from their driveways during the winter season.
Crews will be dispatched to clear the centre portion of snow windrows (one car width only) on all roads following a 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) snow fall. Windrows will be cleared within 8 hours after crews plow the road. The City reserves the right to decide when snow windrow service will take place. Also note that the windrow left from the sidewalk plow is not included in this service.
Am I eligible for this service?
In order to qualify for this program, all individual(s) residing in the household must be 60 years or older (proof of age is required) or younger than 12 years of age. If any members of the household are between the ages of 12 years and 60 years, a current and valid doctor’s certificate confirming they are physically unable to clear snow must be provided.
Please note: Residential homes with rear lanes do not qualify for this service because different procedures are in place for snow removal. Snow is pushed straight ahead out of the rear lane and hauled away leaving only a minimal amount of residual snow, which makes this service unnecessary for these areas.
Residential homes located on private roadways inclusive of condominiums do not qualify for this service.
How do I apply?
If you are eligible to receive this service, please submit an application form and provide required documentation.
- New Applications:
Download the Snow Windrow Removal Assistance Form for New Applicant(s) [PDF]
- Please be advised that we have improved the Snow Windrow Removal Assistance Program renewal process. Seniors and applicants who are under 60 years of age with a permanent medical condition are automatically renewed every winter season. For applicants who are under 60 years of age with a temporary medical condition, please provide supporting medical documentation to the Contact Centre yearly to have your status reviewed/renewed.
If you no longer require this service, please contact us at email@example.com or 905.477.5530
- In Person: Visit the Contact Centre counter at the Markham Civic Centre (Unionville entrance)
- Phone: Call us at 905.477.5530 Monday to Friday 8 AM to 5 PM.
Mail or drop off your completed application form to:
The City of Markham
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Markham, Ontario, L3R 9W3
Attention: Contact Centre – Snow
What are my responsibilities?
- Remove any obstructions at the end of your driveway
- Keep your house number visible and illuminated at all times.
- Notify the City if you move from the address on file or if at any time a person(s) moves into the home on a permanent and/or temporary basis.
If you have any questions or require any additional information with respect to this service, please contact the City of Markham at 905.477.5530 Monday to Friday 8 AM to 5 PM.