Most properties have a main shut off valve. It is usually located beside your water meter and used to turn off your water during emergency or repair work. If the valve needs to be fixed or replaced, an appointment can be booked to have the service turned off or on at the curb. Please call Markham's Contact Centre at 905.477.5530 or email A service fee is charged to the property owner.