Each year, Markham Council approves a Combined Water and Wastewater Rate.
The Total Combined 2019 Water/Wastewater Rate is $4.4680 per cubic metre (per 1000 litres) of water.
This rate covers:
- The purchase of drinking water from York Region
- The treatment of the Wastewater
- Operating and maintaining the local water system. This includes water sampling, water mains, fire hydrants, and more.
Water fees also help Markham ensure that its water meets the Ontario's Drinking Water Standard. These standards are found in the Safe Drinking Water Act (2001). All revenue goes to fund the municipal waterworks system.
Markham Water Rate
- 2018 Rate (per cubic metre) — $4.1442
- Rate Increase — $0.3238
- 2019 Rate (per cubic metre) — $4.4680
|Region's Wholesale Rate Increase
|Markham's Water/Wastewater Rate Increase
|Markham's Water/Wastewater Rate*
Read the report on the 2019 water rate (PDF).
Why is the wastewater portion of my rate higher than the water?
Across the Country it is normal to see higher wastewater charges compared to water costs for many reasons:
- The City of Markham does not have direct access to a water source and does not have a drinking water or a wastewater treatment plant. Thus, York Region is the City of Markham’s water wholesaler. The Region charges Markham for both water and wastewater service fees regardless of whether the drinking water ends up in the sewer. Lawn watering, car washing, pool filling and draining all result in sanitary sewer fees because the City needs to recover the costs charged by York Region.
- Markham’s water and wastewater rate is currently set to ensure there is sufficient funds to pay York Region for water and sewer services, day-to-day operating and asset replacement/rehabilitation costs. Wastewater is dirty and filled with organic waste and many other items that should never be flushed or poured down drains (ie. condoms, hair, tampons, cooking oil, wipes); so, it takes more time, money and energy to clean this type of water so that it can be released back into Lake Ontario.