You need a permit to use Family Fireworks in the City of Markham.
Family Fireworks are low-hazard fireworks for recreation. These are often used at religious ceremonies, celebrations, and birthdays. They can include:
- Fireworks showers
- Roman candles
- Other similar fireworks
Family Fireworks do not include:
- Cherry bombs
- Flash crackers
- Throw-down and step-on torpedoes
- Smoke bombs
- Table rockets
- Other similar devices
If you set off Family Fireworks, you need to have a working fire extinguisher ready.
- Secure your Family Fireworks in a stable base (like a bucket of sand).
- Use a safe lighter. This could be a butane barbeque lighter or ignition stick.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions when throwing out used fireworks and/or soak them in water overnight before disposing of them.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions when throwing out defective fireworks. You might also be able to return them and have the distributor or manufacturer throw them out.
- Only use fireworks that have been approved for sale or use in Canada.
- Keep spectators a safe distance away from the fireworks display. See the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never leave fireworks unattended.
Family Fireworks permits cost $204.50. The City collects this fee during the online application process.
Please use the form below to make your request: