DO NOT APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENCE UNLESS YOU REQUIRE ONE AND
REFUNDS WILL NOT
Marriage licences will be issued to fulfill an urgent requirement or on a compassionate basis only.
- To obtain a marriage licence during COVID-19, please follow these steps:
- Complete the marriage application online at least four (4) weeks before your wedding date (this includes paying the Marriage Licence Fee of $166.50 online)
- Once completed, paid and submitted, you will receive an email of the completed application form and the receipt of payment (please check your junk mail if you do not see it in your inbox)
- Print the application form and ensure both applicants sign the form (your signatures must match your official ID signatures)
- Collect all other documents required for the licence for each applicant:
- A valid Birth Certificate OR a valid Passport OR a valid Record of Landing, AND
- A government issued photo ID, AND
- Any and all divorce certificates and/or foreign divorce authorizations (if applicable)
- Scan and email these documents, along with your signed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be contacted by a City of Markham staff person to schedule an appointment to review your documents and receive your licence
- On the day of your appointment:
- Come to the Main Entrance of the Markham Civic Centre (101 Town Centre Boulevard)
- Report to Security with your name and appointment
- A City of Markham staff person will come to you to collect your application documents, review the documents, and if everything is in order, issue the marriage licence to you.
- Only one applicant may come to the appointment
- Please wear a mask and gloves
- Bring all original identification pieces and your documents in an open Ziploc bag for review by the staff person.
- If you have any questions about eligibility during COVID-19, please contact the Clerk’s department at 905.477.7000 x2366 from Monday to Friday, between 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM.