There are 5 active cemeteries in Markham. They are:
Historic Buttonville Cemetery lies on the east side of Woodbine Avenue, just south of 16th Avenue. It is the final resting place for many of the area's original pioneer families. It dates from 1830.
John Button, a local landowner, donated land for a Wesleyan Methodist Church and burial ground. He set aside a portion of the property as a family burial site. He was a Major in the local militia and died in 1861 at 89 years of age.
This cemetery is located on the west side of McCowan Road, south of Highway 7. It was originally part of the Eckardt Family farm. Still active today, the site dates back to the 1830s.
Located on the 9th Concession Road, north of Major Mackenzie Drive, the First Baptist Church dates to the 1830s. A Baptist Church was built on the Miller Family Farm in the late 1840s. Many of the Miller family are buried here. The Church was later moved and restored. It is now one of Markham's heritage buildings.
The cemetery lies on the west side of Kennedy Road, north of 14th Avenue. It’s in a bustling part of Markham. The Hagerman family, original settlers to the area, donated a church. It sat on the site beside the cemetery, which, at the time, had been the private burial grounds of the family. The church was replaced with a brick structure. That structure was torn down in the 1920s.
Located on the east side of Warden Avenue, north of Steeles Avenue, this cemetery is all that remains of the original site. The frame church was destroyed by fire after a lightning strike in 1929. It was not rebuilt. The first recorded burial was of a man who fell from the steeple of the Church.
Learn more at the Ontario Genealogical Society: http://www.ogs.on.ca/