If there is a change in the physical condition (i.e. demolition or fire) of your property, you can request the City to adjust your taxes through a tax appeal. You can request the cancellation, reduction, or refund of all or part of your taxes. This process follows Provincial legislation found in Sections 357 and 358 of the Municipal Act, 2001.

Changes can include:

  • Tax classification changes;
  • Lands that have become exempt;
  • Structures destroyed or damaged by fire or demolitions;
  • Large errors; and/or
  • Repairs or renovations that prevent normal use of the land for a minimum of 3 months.

If you’re making an application under section 357, you need to apply before the last day of February of the year following the change in the property.

If you’re making an application under Section 358, you need to apply between March 1 and December 31. The application can apply to taxes from one or two years before your application. Tax reductions only apply to overcharges caused by clerical or factual errors. These changes don’t apply to errors made in assessing the property. For assessment errors, please see the “Assessment Review” section above.

You fill out your Tax Appeal Application online.

For more information, please contact the Customer Service Centre at 905.475.4864 or by e-mail at customerservice@markham.ca.