City of Markham Financial Assistance
We want everyone to use our programs. If you can't afford a program, we may be able to help you. Please call us at 905.477.7000 extension 6258.
A community-based charitable program that helps kids ages 4 to 18 participate in organized sports and recreation programs so they can develop important life skills, self-esteem and confidence.
National in scope, but local in focus, Canadian Tire Jumpstart® delivers support to children in financial need through a Canada-wide network of local chapters. Markham, through its Recreation Department, is one such Chapter. The City, working together with Canadian Tire Associate Dealers, identifies children who would benefit from Canadian Tire Jumpstart® and ensures effective delivery of the program.
Here are some important details:
- Children are eligible for up to $600 per calendar year; maximum $300 for the same sport.
- Grants will not exceed a maximum of $150 per application. Please note that our goal this year is to reach as many children as possible therefore grant amounts will vary.
- Programs or activities must encourage physical activity.
- Funding preference is to pay for registration fees.
- Approval of funding is dependent on available funds.
- Funding is available for members of the same family for the same season.
- All applicants must reside within Markham.
- Eligible applicants include children and youth between the ages 4 and 18 years of age.
- Funding should be for a sustained program that lasts a season. One week camps are not eligible.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for support through the Canadian Tire Jumpstart® program, please apply online.
York Region Recreation Subsidies
York Region offers subsidies for children from families with low income to take part in Recreation programs and day camps offered by local municipalities. Please visit york.ca/recreationsubsidies or call Access York 1-877-464-9675 for more information to see if you qualify.