If you are interested in building a community ice rink, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Find a Volunteer Coordinator and a group of volunteers who will install, operate and maintain the outdoor ice rink
- Complete the following forms:
Application forms should be sent to Nory Takata, Parks Planner, Operations Department, by email, fax or mail:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 905.940.1550
City of Markham
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Markham, Ontario, L3R 9W3
- Applications are accepted beginning on September 1 for the following winter season.
- City guidelines and policies will outline where an ice rink can go based on winter water services.
- The City reimburses 50% of the cost of eligible building materials to a maximum of $500 per year.
- The City will consider installing new winterized services in parks on a first come, first serve basis.
- Limited funding is available for this program and the City may not be able to accommodate every request.
- If the location and the size of the ice rink is approved, the Volunteer Coordinator will be notified.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will need to circulate a petition confirming acceptance of the ice rink by a minimum of 70% of residents adjacent to the park, or ice rink location, prior to rink construction (draft petition is available from the City upon request).
- A copy of the completed petition results can be mailed or emailed as an attachment to the Parks Planner.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will be contacted to determine a convenient to meet Operations staff at the park to receive the hoses, water key, and basic instructions for flooding rinks to ensure that rink maintenance remains trouble-free.