Tree Permit Application

Call before you cut! - Permit required

Property owners must apply for a permit before injuring or destroying any tree in Markham with a trunk diameter of 20 centimetres (about 8 inches) or more, measured at 1.37 metres (about 54 inches) above the ground at the base of the tree.

Further, property owners are also required to apply for a permit to injure, if pruning a tree more than 30%. 

Anyone contravening the Tree Preservation Bylaw and found guilty of an offence will be subject to penalties.

Permit Process

Note: This process applies to both permit applications and bylaw exemption requests.

  1. Fill out the application form below. This application is used for both permit application and bylaw exemptions.
  2. If your tree is exempt, no permit fee is required. A written confirmation – a permit – will be issued by Markham.
  3. Where a permit is applicable, fees may apply.
  4. Applications can take up to 30 days to process.

Following the review of a permit application, the City may determine the removal of the tree does not require a permit and will refund any fees paid or confirm that a site inspection is required.

Other requirements

A report from a qualified tree expert may be required as a condition of permit approval, but is not required for the initial permit application.

Additional Information and Common Terms [PDF]

Note: If any part of the tree trunk at ground level is located on adjacent property, the adjacent property owner must also provide permission for the application. If this is the case, please complete and submit the printable application form [PDF], ensuring the adjacent owner signs on page two of the application where required.

In relation to infill construction (RIGS): Where the tree application is in relation to a building we will require the submission of Tree Assessment and Preservation Plan [PDF] prepared by a Qualified Arborist.

This portlet is not configured, or the settings are incorrect. Use "Edit Shared Settings" to select an application, or contact your administrator for assistance.
Complementary Content